Every business has diverse requirements and needs to implement efficient software solutions which can improve workflow, processes and output. Most of the software in use is called off-the-shelf Software, also known as commercial Software. This software can fulfil the requirements of many organizations but is not suitable to the meet the specific needs and expectations of every client.
On the other hand, Custom Software (or Custom Software) is built as per the exact needs of a business. It can adapt to the current requirements as well as future needs of a business. This makes the process smooth and improves the working efficiency.
So, which type of software should an organization or an individual use? There are two sides of the same coin. Similarly,Custom Software development andCommercial Softwaredevelopmenthave their benefits and disadvantages. Let us discuss this further in order to help organizations to take the right decision.
Generic build: The answer to the above question is again quite simple. A commercial product is made for a wide range of audience. Thus the development team has to provide a set design as well as a pre-defined framework. Since the product is ready to use, it may not cater to the exact requirement of all organizations. Usually, there are some adjustments that an existing organization will need to make in order to implement a commercial product. This disadvantage is the biggest advantage in the case of customized software.
Customized software picks up current processes and builds an electronic framework to automate them. There is no requirement to change any processes and people can usually get used to the software within a few days. Customized software provides flexibility as well for the organization to tinker around with the software and fine tune it for better performance.
Price: One of the biggest differences is the price. A commercial product is usually reasonably priced whereas a customized product can be relatively expensive to build. The logic is quite simple – the cost of development of the commercial product is distributed over a number of buyers and thus the pricing is spread over the number of licenses that will be sold.
The customized software product on the other hand is made just for one buyer and thus the entire cost of development has to be borne by one customer. One might think that if the option of a commercial software product is available, why would one go for a customized development?
Updates: Commercial products have commercial updates. Each time there is a revision in software purchased commercial, you will need to shell out an update fee. On the other hand, Updates in customized software are done based on the requirements and budget of the company.
Advantages of custom Software development
- Custom Software is designed to meet the specific requirements of an organization. So, it is perfectly tailored to the needs of a business and operates accordingly.
- Custom Software can be easily integrated with existing systems It provides an easier and intuitive user interface. It does not contain unnecessary features which are not of use to a particular organization
- In case users face any problems, they can directly contact the developers and get the issue resolved quickly. It saves precious time and resources.
Disadvantages Of Custom Software
- This software is developed by a single company, so requires a higher investment initially for the development as compared to Packaged Software. A business needs to compare the costs and the expected benefits in order to come to the right conclusion.
- This application can take a longer time to implement
Advantages of commercial Software development
- It is easier to share files since it is likely that other users are also using the same software.
- There is no need to spend time in the development process.
- Commercial Software is relatively cheaper than Custom Software since there are many end users
- Support, maintenance services and help manuals for this software are easily available (at a lesser cost) as a large numbers of users are using the software.
Disadvantages of Commercial Software
- This software is highly complicated and may require a lot of time to learn. It has many features which are not used at all.
- By its very nature, this software is designed for a large number of users. So, the organization will need to adapt and alter work practices which meet the requirements of the software, and not the other way around.
In conclusion, a Custom software offers you a competitive edge and higher revenues. Moreover, it is easier to use. At the same time, it involves a higher investment in terms of money and time. A commercial software is a cost-effective solution which is used by many people. So, it is essential for an organization to evaluate the pros and cons before coming to any conclusion